Thursday, March 11, 2010

How Do I Say This...

Growing up I was often prone to procrastination, only able to do outstanding work in the face of a dangerously close headline. Working in a writing center in college changed that about me, and I'm now able to enjoy and benefit of the writing process.


But dang, it's been dificult for me to actually post anything here. It's been so long since I've done much personal writing; it feels as if I've spent so much time finding, and writing in, the perfect voice for whatever brand, product, or service that I seem to have lost my own writing style. Something for which a favorite literature professor in college, Dr. Sean McDowell, once commented that I should "give praise daily." Perhaps I've neglected the proper genuflections for far too long.

I suppose that's the partly the idea of The Tongue Press. My original vision of the tongue press is of an antique Platen printing press with a large simple line drawing of a tongue being inked as it was wheeled through. Now the 'press' is taking on a different meaning, one of squeezing words out, forcing myself to write honestly.